Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Oh, there you are Guatemala

8 days later and we have finally reached our destination. Did I mention yet that we haven´t been in Guatemala? Well, we haven´t been in Guatemala. We have been trucking through Mexico, mostly the Yucatan Peninsula. We hadn´t actually planned on Mexico at all, but while we were there we couldn´t resist. Our long vacation of 33 days is quickly seeming insufficient to see all that is calling to us.

I had a rough night with bouts of attack from my parasite. This morning, however, was quite pleasant. I found that my stomach is quite at peace unless I am walking with a large backpack or driving on bumpy, windy roads. This turned out to be perfect for our 10 hours on chicken buses through the awesomely paved roads of Guatemala. I am quite thankful for the refuge of a hostel. Probably more miserable than the bumps that tossed around my loose intestines, however, was eating bland bread and water while Erin oohed and ahhed over her avacado, cheese and cilantro sandwich. "I am such a good chef!" She continually reminded me.
I actually think the people from the crazy coke church might be on to something. I bought some ginger ale, and every burp made me feel a little better, like I was expelling evil spirits with each one. Tomorrow I might be ready to sacrifice a rooster.

When we arrived, in the dark, to this town of Quetzaltenango, we had a hard time getting directions to our hostel. People continually pointed us in different directions, which we have found is common in here. If they don´t know the way, they will point somewhere anyway. We have ran circles around cities because of this.

My Spanish is pretty ridiculous. Today I translated "Guianos Senor" as Mr. Guides or Man Guides - I couldn´t decide which was better, but thought either way it meant guides that were male. Nope. This meanes "Guide Us Lord." Yeah, slightly off.

Tomorrow we will explore this new city and look into language courses, because I obviously need it. Two days ago, I was trying to ask a man of the salsa was spicy. He said no, and I tried to see, "Really, is that the truth?" Instead I asked, "Is it closed? Are you closed?"

2 comments:

KJW said...

Dweebs - What are you doing when you return? Want to go on a road trip with me? Maybe to Yellowstone? Or Whistler? We will only eat parasite-free food!

Lindsay said...

I love this blog! Your crazy bus ride through Guatemala brings back not-so-fond memories... Keep writing, hope you are having a fabulous time!!