Monday, July 21, 2008

Knock knock, whos there, a parasite

Bits of a very interesting conversation with whimsical-underwearless-hippie . . .

"I dont do drugs, I connect with the sacred plants of the world (mushrooms mostly)."
"I learn things every time I do shrooms. I call it Going To University because I learn so much."
"I dont know any Spanish now, but when I go into the Palenque Ruins (Mayan ruins we had been to) I am going to do shrooms. Before I do them, I am going to ask the mushroom spirit to teach me Spanish, and I have no doubt in my mind that I will come out on the other end of that experience fluent in Spanish."

Quite an interesting lady for sure. It was hilarious and intriguing to hear her perspective on life, and learn of her many experiences. When we left, she wished me well in life and sincerely hoped I would myself partake in the "real fruit of the world."

We had a spare three hours yesterday before our journey continued further south (we have not hit Guatemala yet), and so we decided to catch a bus to some waterfalls. The bus dropped us next to a family that swarmed us screaming, "Mango!!" and thrusting dozens of mango cups in our face. We bought some, then walked in the pouring rain for 20 minutes with our drenched Mango soup. Because of our excellent planning and decision making abilities, we were only able to swim by the waterfalls for 10 minutes before a wet hike back up, but swimming in that secluded water hole in the middle of the jungle was SO AWESOME!! It was definitely worth our ten minutes.

Now we have made camp at a hostel in the town of San Cristobal de Las Casas. We ran into our Irish friend from a few towns ago, and we have befriended some new, loud, Dutch friends. No one can pronounce their names, so they have nicknames like Waldo (from wheres Waldo) and Rude boy. The one called Rude boy . . . his name is actually Ruud, but pronounced with about 70 extra letters and some throatal grunting.

I have a parasite backpacking through stomach, he has been there two days now. I have gotten to know him so well, I have named him Jose. Erin had a smaller, briefer bout with one yesterday - hers was undeserving of a name. Jose is, in fact, calling me now, so I will leave you with that.

No comments: