Friday, July 25, 2008

Another day in Guaty

The last three towns we have been to have been wet and cold. This has resulted in a ton of wet clothes, never having opportunity to dry. Today, a week and a half after the start of this adventure, with no trip to a laundromat, we smell a bit like death. Well, not quite death (yet), but really wet and possibly-in-the-process-of-molding laundry. Aren´t you sad you aren´t with us?

Language class yesterday was good, but also a little depressing. When I learn what words actually mean, I find out what I´ve actually been saying. I found out the verb sentir is to feel, and not to sit, as I had thought. Discovering this led me to realize that on the boat ride through the canyon 3 days ago, I asked our tour guide, "Is it possible for me to feel near my friend?" He looked very confused, and a little concerned, but said yes. I got up to move, but he yelled, "NO!!" as the boat pulled away and knocked me into my seat.

So far, this country has proven to be the land of street side shoe shining, turkey vultures and cowboy hats. Oh, and men who like to whistle and wave at us. We might start wafting our wet laundry at those guys, that´ll show ém how attractive we are. We haven´t explored this town to it´s potential - it is supposed to be the best in Guatemala. We miss our last town in Mexico; the hostel, our friends, and the festivities. Today I have Spanish class (Erin is undecided), and we are going to learn how to weave. Hopefuly we will exert ourselves enough to discover the lure of this town . . .

1 comment:

photograbuddha said...

I'm pretty sure if i didn't constantly use the restroom i would pee my pants after reading your blog. I love it, and look forward to reading it!Love ya! Tiffany